The 2024 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, the first plug-in hybrid model of the iconic off-road vehicle, is now available for purchase in Europe. The new Wrangler 4xe combines the legendary 4x4 capabilities of the Jeep brand with a more efficient and eco-friendly powertrain, offering up to 50 km of electric range and reduced CO2 emissions.
What is the Jeep Wrangler 4xe?
The 2024 Jeep Wrangler 4xe is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) that uses a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and two electric motors, one integrated with the eight-speed automatic transmission and one on the front axle, to deliver a total output of 380 horsepower and 637 Nm of torque. The Wrangler 4xe can run on electric power only, gasoline power only, or a combination of both, depending on the driving mode the driver selects.
The Wrangler 4xe has a 17 kWh lithium-ion battery pack that can be recharged in about three hours using a 7.4 kW wallbox or a standard domestic outlet in about six hours. The battery pack is located under the rear seat and does not compromise the interior space or the cargo capacity of the Wrangler. The Wrangler 4xe also has a regenerative braking system that recovers energy during deceleration and braking and stores it in the battery.
What are the driving modes of the Jeep Wrangler 4xe 2024?
The 2024 Jeep Wrangler 4xe offers three driving modes that can be selected by the driver using the buttons on the dashboard:
- Hybrid: This is the default mode that optimizes the performance and efficiency of the Wrangler 4xe by automatically switching between electric and gasoline power or using both simultaneously, depending on the driving conditions and the battery charge level.
- Electric: This mode allows the Wrangler 4xe to run on electric power only, as long as there is enough battery charge. This mode is ideal for urban driving and for reducing emissions and noise. The Wrangler 4xe can reach a top speed of 130 km/h in electric mode.
- eSave: This mode preserves the battery charge and uses the gasoline engine as the main source of power. This mode is useful for saving the electric range for later use, such as when entering a low-emission zone or an off-road trail.
The Wrangler 4xe also has a Max Regen function that the driver can activate to increase the regenerative braking effect and extend the electric range. The Max Regen function can be used in any driving mode and works like a one-pedal driving system, reducing the need to use the brake pedal.
What are the 4x4 capabilities of the Jeep Wrangler 4xe?
The 2024 Jeep Wrangler 4xe does not compromise on the 4x4 capabilities that have made the Wrangler a legend in the off-road world. The Wrangler 4xe is available in two trim levels, Sahara and Rubicon, both equipped with a full-time four-wheel-drive system with a two-speed transfer case and a rear locking differential. The Rubicon version also has a front locking differential, an electronic sway bar disconnect, and a Rock-Trac 4x4 system with a 4:1 low-range ratio for enhanced traction and control on the most challenging terrains.
The Wrangler 4xe also benefits from the instant torque delivery of the electric motors, which improves the responsiveness and agility of the vehicle on and off the road. The Wrangler 4xe has a ground clearance of 25.4 cm, an approach angle of 36 degrees, a breakover angle of 20.5 degrees, a departure angle of 31 degrees, and a water fording depth of 76 cm. The Wrangler 4xe also has a Trail Rated badge, which certifies its ability to withstand harsh conditions and pass a series of tests on traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording.
How much does the Jeep Wrangler 4xe cost?
The 2024 Jeep Wrangler 4xe is now available in Europe, starting from $69,225 for the Sahara version and $75,750 for the Rubicon version. The Wrangler 4xe comes with a comprehensive package of services and benefits, including an eight-year or 160,000 km warranty on the battery pack, a six-year or 100,000 km maintenance plan, and access to the My Uconnect app, which allows the driver to monitor and manage the vehicle’s functions remotely, such as checking the battery status, scheduling the charging, locating the nearest charging stations, and pre-conditioning the cabin temperature.
How does the Jeep Wrangler 4xe compare to its competitors?
The 2024 Jeep Wrangler 4xe is one of the few plug-in hybrid SUVs in the market that can offer both a high level of efficiency and a high level of off-road performance. Some of its main competitors are:
- Ford Bronco: The 2024 Ford Bronco is a new model that aims to challenge the Wrangler’s dominance in the off-road segment. The Ford Bronco is available with a 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with 300 horsepower and 434 Nm of torque or a 2.7-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 engine with 330 horsepower and 542 Nm of torque. The Bronco also has a hybrid version, but it is not a plug-in hybrid and has a smaller battery pack than the Wrangler 4xe. The Bronco has a 4x4 system with a two-speed transfer case and up to seven driving modes, as well as a Terrain Management System with Trail Control and Trail Turn Assist. The Ford Bronco has a ground clearance of 29.5 cm, an approach angle of 43.2 degrees, a breakover angle of 29 degrees, a departure angle of 37.2 degrees, and a water fording depth of 85 cm. The Bronco 2024 has a starting price of $28,500 for the base model and $38,500 for the hybrid model.
- Toyota 4Runner: The Toyota 4Runner is a traditional SUV that has been on the market for a long time and has a loyal fan base. The 2024 Toyota 4Runner is powered by a 4.0-liter V-6 engine with 270 horsepower and 376 Nm of torque, paired with a five-speed automatic transmission. The 2024 Toyota 4Runner has a 4x4 system with a two-speed transfer case and a locking rear differential, as well as a Multi-Terrain Select system with four driving modes and a Crawl Control system. The Toyota 4Runner has a ground clearance of 24.1 cm, an approach angle of 33 degrees, a breakover angle of 26 degrees, a departure angle of 26 degrees, and a water fording depth of 70 cm. The Toyota 4Runner has a starting price of $36,340 for the base model and $50,470 for the TRD Pro model.
- Land Rover Defender: The Land Rover Defender is a modern reinterpretation of the classic British off-roader that combines luxury and technology with ruggedness and capability. The Land Rover Defender is available with a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with 296 horsepower and 400 Nm of torque, a 3.0-liter turbocharged six-cylinder engine with 395 horsepower and 550 Nm of torque, or a 3.0-liter turbocharged six-cylinder engine with a mild hybrid system that delivers 400 horsepower and 550 Nm of torque. The Land Rover Defender also has a plug-in hybrid version, but it is not yet available in the U.S. market. The Land Rover Defender has a 4x4 system with a two-speed transfer case and a locking center differential, as well as a Terrain Response 2 system with six driving modes and a Wade Sensing system. The Land Rover Defender has a ground clearance of 29.1 cm, an approach angle of 38 degrees, a breakover angle of 28 degrees, a departure angle of 40 degrees, and a water fording depth of 90 cm. The Land Rover Defender has a starting price of $46,100 for the base model and $83,000 for the plug-in hybrid model.
The 2024 Jeep Wrangler 4xe is a remarkable vehicle that offers a unique combination of efficiency, performance, and capability. It is the first plug-in hybrid model of the Jeep brand, and it preserves the iconic design and the legendary 4x4 features of the Wrangler while adding a more eco-friendly and versatile powertrain. The Wrangler 4xe is an excellent choice for drivers who want to enjoy the best of both worlds: the thrill of off-road adventure and the convenience of electric mobility. The Jeep Wrangler 4xe is now available in Europe and is expected to arrive in the U.S. market later this year.